Library Assistant IV
Job Summary:Under the direct supervision of the Head of Collection Services, the Library Assistant IV assists with staffing the law library’s circulation and access services desk during the library’s operating hours. Additionally, the LA will process inter-library loans, check in and process library materials, shelve, and perform other LA IV duties that require an understanding of the library, its collection, classification scheme, catalog, and software systems. Works independently with minimum
supervision, exercises independent judgment, consults with supervisors, and makes recommendations regarding the library’s policies and procedures. Candidates must be willing to work a flexible schedule; some evening and weekend coverage may be required.
Full Job Description:
- Provides friendly, high-quality, and consistent customer service to law library patrons and the greater USF community under the direction of the Head of Collection Services.
- Performs general Access Services tasks, i.e., charging and discharging material, answering patron inquiries, interpreting and applying library policies, etc.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of library policies and services, explaining and enforcing library policies as necessary.
- Answers patrons’ directional and basic research questions, referring more complex questions to research librarians.
- Assists patrons with group study room reservations, course reserves, interlibrary loan, and other document delivery services.
- Opens and closes the library at appointed hours.
- Creates and maintains department documentation of workflows, policies and procedures.
- Participates in cross-training to help ensure continuity of library services in case of temporary absence of personnel.
Other duties may include:
- Sending patron notices (e.g., overdue book notices, fines, etc.) in a timely manner.
- Collecting statistical information on library usage and preparing statistical reports upon request from library management.
- Physically processing materials including check-in, labeling, stamping, filing and shelving.
- Monitoring and ordering library office supplies.
- Withdrawing materials from the collection.
- Claiming of materials.
- Reshelving of library materials and general stack maintenance.
- Bindery processing.
- Other projects and duties as assigned.
- Working hours: 37.5 hours/week
- Required hours: Nights & weekends, some shifts may end at midnight
- Library and shift hours are subject to change
Equivalent of 3 years performing work relevant to the position in a college or university library preferred, including knowledge of basic Access Services functions in an automated ILS environment (e.g., Innovative Interfaces Sierra). Four years of higher education (120 units) or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel. Must possess excellent organizational skills, including ability to maintain records with great attention to detail. Should be self-motivated, flexible and capable of working independently with a minimum of supervision. Able to analyze, evaluate, assess and solve problems and improve services, policies and procedures. Experience with or the ability to work with a diverse student body, faculty and staff.
Experience in an academic library. Familiarity with legal research resources. Capable of working with minimum supervision; able to make decisions independently within the framework of departmental and library policies and goals.
To apply please go to: https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Library-Assistant-IV_R0004497
We are hiring for 3 positions.