The Desktop Support Specialist II is responsible for providing customer service, technical assistance, system maintenance, and general support related to computer systems, hardware and software, and peripherals. The End User Support Specialist II will maintain service throughout the Institute by monitoring help-desk requests, providing hands-on assistance and desktop support, and assisting with systems related needs. Reporting to the Operations Director, the Specialist collaborates with a small group that works in providing excellence in operations and end user experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supports use of Windows-based desktop environment and associated networked equipment in-house, on public workstations, and to those in remote offices.
- Provides technical support and training to staff and members who use Institute systems for their day-to-day activities.
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuring, installation, and deployment of desktop and portable workstation infrastructure, hardware, and software.
- Provides helpdesk and communications support. Maintains a high level of customer service with members and staff. Responds to inquiries via phone, email, and in person.
- Troubleshoots and resolves hardware and software related issues, hard disk failures, data recovery, security updates, and other technology related services. Works with IT staff and vendors when escalating.
- Coordinates with IT staff in managing central services, accounts, and permissions (e.g. Active Directory, Windows network, G Suite, Microsoft Azure, etc.).
- Administers local and cloud servers used for file sharing. Performs routine back up of essential systems.
- Assists with Institute programming in-house and online, including audio/visual equipment, streaming services, and special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the library director. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The qualifications listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Strong working knowledge of installing, configuring, and troubleshooting computer systems and applications.
- Experience working with different operating systems including Windows and Mac OS.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory and group policy.
- Preferred experience with library management software, computer reservation systems, and print release software.
- Excellent customer service skills – ability to communicate with staff, guests, and members in a friendly and professional manner by phone, email, and in person.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines. High attention to detail.
- Strong organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Keeps current with developing technology, best practices, and emerging trends.
- Bachelor’s degree or five (5) years desktop support work experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Ability to perform effectively within a fast-paced working environment.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Proficient in standard business software, including Outlook, Excel, Word, Google
- Requires the ability to walk, stand, carry materials, stoop, kneel, bend at the waist, reach overhead, and climb stairs.
- May require sitting and/or standing for long periods of time.
- Will be required to lift up to 25 pounds on a regular basis.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Onsite work is performed within a standard office environment.
- Will be required to operate basic office equipment including but not limited to computer, printers, telephone, etc.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually at low to moderate.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- This is a full-time, exempt position.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include generous health-dental-vision insurance, paid vacation, holidays, and a 403b plan. Membership to Mechanics’ Institute is also provided.
To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Desktop Support II” in the subject line. Please include your salary requirements (a range is fine). No phone calls please.
Mechanics’ Institute promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. The Institute does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, sex (including the actual gender or perception of sex identity, appearance or behavior), sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics legally protected by federal, state, or local laws and regulations.