Make an impact at Goodwin, where we partner with our clients to practice law with integrity, ingenuity, agility and ambition. Our 1,400 lawyers across the United States, Europe and Asia excel at complex transactions, high-stakes litigation and world-class advisory services in the technology, life sciences, real estate, private equity and financial industries. Our unique combination of deep experience serving both the innovators and investors in a rapidly-changing, technology-driven economy sets us apart. Also a global destination for business professionals, Goodwin’s team of professional staff was named in 2019 the “Best Business Team” by The American Lawyer.
As the Research Analyst, you will provide expert legal and business research for the firm’s attorneys and administrative departments; participate in the firm’s educational initiatives by providing training, on-boarding and consultative services, proactively monitor the legal industry and contribute ideas and solutions to further the goals of Research Services and the firm.
What you do:
- Delivers proactive and value-added research to the firm.
- Provides expert legal and business research assistance to attorneys and administrative staff in a timely and effective manner, leveraging sophisticated research applications and incorporating new technologies as appropriate.
- Maintains expert-level knowledge of internal knowledge management resources and systems to enhance research deliverables .
- Provides analysis and synthesis of research results and presents findings in a manner promoting effective decision making where appropriate.
- Advises attorneys on research strategy and resource selection to ensure research is accurate and conducted in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
- Provides research coverage as assigned and follows established internal procedures for the handling of requests to ensure timely and efficient delivery of results.
- Utilizes workflow software to assign and manage research projects.
- Develops curriculum and conducts training to promote effective and authoritative research.
- Creates and maintains newsletters and alerts using news aggregators.
- Conducts new hire on-boarding for administrative and legal staff.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of the Research Services intranet.
- Participates in the ongoing evaluation of online resources and makes recommendations for purchase or renewal.
- Prioritizes continuous learning by seeking professional development opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who you are:
- Master of Library Science from an ALA accredited library school. Demonstrated, relevant professional research experience in a private law firm or academic law library, special library or research center can be substituted for the MLS.
- 5+ years’ experience providing research in a private law firm, academic law library or special library or research center.
- Expert knowledge of a wide variety of information sources, such as Westlaw, Lexis, Capital IQ, PitchBook, Intelligize InfoNgen, Derwent Innovation, and Saegis.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies, including data analytics and artificial intelligence and how those technologies impact research and the research process.
- Employs research interview skills in order to clarify and interpret research requests.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize work, multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with members of the team and Firm.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer applications, such as Excel, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and Zoom.
- Schedule: Responsibilities occasionally may require adjusted work schedule or weekend hours to meet deadlines.
- Physical requirements: None.
- Travel: Some travel and overnight stays may be required to support research initiatives or for professional development.
- Environment: Indoor
Consistent with the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance an arrest and conviction record will not automatically disqualify a qualified applicant from consideration.
Goodwin Procter LLP is an equal opportunity employer. This means that Goodwin Procter LLP considers applicants for employment, and makes employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other legally protected status.
Please note: Various agencies of the United States government require employers to collect information on applicants and employees. The National Association of Law Placement (NALP) and certain clients request us to keep track of certain aggregate information regarding lawyers. EEO information requested on this application is for purposes of compliance with these recordkeeping and reporting requirements and to determine recruiting and employment patterns. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
Deadline to Apply: October 29, 2021