Special Collections and University Archives Assistant (LA IV)
Job Summary:Under the supervision of the Head Librarian, Special Collections & University Archives, oversee public services in the Donohue Rare Book Room.
Full Job Description:
- Oversee reading room registration, rules, and security.
- Provide general orientations and instruct users in the proper handling of special collections materials.
- Page materials for use in the reading room.
- Open and close the reading room as necessary.
Reference, Instruction and Outreach:
- Answer directional, informational, and basic reference questions.
- Assist users in the use of the library catalog and other information resources.
- Perform digitization duties to support remote research queries.
- Maintain departmental use statistics and create reports.
- Facilitate instruction requests and coordinate the department teaching calendar.
- Support librarians in preparing for classroom instruction, and assist during sessions as needed.
- Assist librarians with research queries, for onsite and remote users.
- Promote and highlight collection materials through social media, blog posts, online research guides, and other platforms.
- Represent the department at library and campus outreach events.
- Perform a range of activities supporting acquisition of materials (e.g., pre-order searching, assisting with ordering titles, receiving, and tracking materials until cataloged).
- Perform duties related to stacks supervision, shelf-reading, reshelving, and carrying out stack shifts.
- Facilitate the movement and tracking of collection materials as they are digitized for inclusion in the library’s Digital Collections.
- Assist with the creation of metadata in support of Digital Collections.
- Assist librarians with exhibitions preparation.
- Assist the University Archivist with accessioning, processing, and creating finding aids.
- Use basic common computer applications for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Web browsers, and email.
- Monitor department email and LibAnswers account and reply as appropriate.
Student Worker Supervision:
- Supervise library student assistants and department interns.
Education & Experience:
Equivalent of 3 years performing work relevant to the position in a college, university library (preferred) or public library. Four years of higher education (120 units) or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Experience working with the public.
● Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
● Use discretion in applying rules, regulations, and procedures.
● Works collaboratively with others.
● Demonstrated computer literacy with word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and communication software such as email.
● Demonstrated interpersonal and organizational skills.
● Able to apply judgment in choosing procedures and evaluating alternatives.
● Demonstrated ability to perform detailed tasks accurately and efficiently.
● Possess strong communication skills.
● Exhibit strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
● Knowledge of or ability to learn Library of Congress call number systems, metadata schemas, and description standards.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
● Commitment to values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Desired/Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Experience in the handling and use of rare and unique materials in a library setting.
● Knowledge of preservation best practices for special collections and archival materials.
● Experience with ArchivesSpace or other collection management platforms.
● Perform desk-based computer tasks.
● Work with books and archival records that may be dusty.
● Occasionally reach/work above shoulders.
● Must be able to push and maneuver a fully-loaded booktruck.
● Ability to lift 40 pound boxes or bundles.
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full time
Pay Rate: Hourly
Link to Apply: https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Special-Collections-and-University-Archives-Assistant–LA-IV-_R0004900