Part Time Library Assistant
The Library Assistant staffs the circulation desk and performs a variety of clerical and technical service duties. Primary responsibilities include providing assistance and articulating policies and procedures to library members, checking out and receiving library materials, keeping accurate circulation records, processing materials, shelving materials, and assisting with basement stack maintenance. The position also assists in registering new members and renewing memberships, helping create displays, and assisting members with public workstation computers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Mechanics’ Institute seeks a Library Assistant to perform customer service, clerical, and technical tasks typical of a small, busy library. Library Assistants staff the circulation desk, providing courteous and accurate service to Mechanics’ Institute members. Duties include the following:
- Checking out and receiving library materials
- Keeping accurate circulation records
- Registering new members
- Receiving and recording payment of fines
- Processing materials
- Shelving and shelf-reading using alphabetical and Dewey Decimal classification systems
- Utilizing a computer to retrieve information and input data
- Creating library documents such as holds slips, overdue notices, paging lists, and other related documents
- Creating displays and other member involvement activities
- Articulating library policies and procedures to library members
- Providing information and assistance to library members and visitors
- Registering new members and helping renew memberships
- Providing assistance with and troubleshooting of public and workstation computers
- Handling other tasks as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The qualifications listed in this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Enthusiasm for books, reading, and engagement are a foundation.
- Excellent customer service skills – ability to communicate with members, staff, management, and the public in a friendly and professional manner by phone, email, and in person.
- Demonstrated use of computers and technology including phone systems and printers.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- High attention to detail
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Work in a library or non-profit environment
- Experience with Sierra ILS or other library system
- Library Technician AA or Bachelor’s Degree
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a part-time, hourly position
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Membership to the Mechanics’ Institute
- Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Part-time Library Assistant” in the subject line
- Include days/times available to work
- Hourly wage requirement (a range is fine)
- Priority to applications received by 11/15/21
- No phone calls please