Salary $62,496.12 – $75,964.56 Anually
Location Contra Costa County Ca
Job Type Permanent Full-Time
Job Number 3AWB-2021A
Closing 12/26/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Bargaining Unit: Local 1 – Library Unit
Why join the Contra Costa County Library?
Contra Costa County’s Library Department is seeking qualified candidates to fill vacancies for the Librarian I classification.
The Library is made up of nearly 300 employees serving 26 communities throughout Contra Costa County. Its mission is to “Bring People and Ideas Together.” The Library seeks to enrich lives by delivering a consistent, high quality, and inviting experience at all points of contact.
It is an innovative, entrepreneurial and dynamic civic institution that is committed to providing exceptional services to its communities. The Library assumes critical roles in making the communities strong, equitable, resilient, and progressive.
The Library’s core goal is to champion personal and community engagement through literacy and reading. It has implemented several programs to ensure easy, equitable access to library services for all. This was exemplified by the Library saying “Farewell to Fines” at the beginning of 2019! By promoting library services and programs to the community we meet our mission of “Bringing People and Ideas Together.”
We are looking for someone who is:
- An excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing
- A strategic problem solver
- Comfortable working in a team environment
- Extraordinary when exhibiting their customer service skills
- Supportive of the Library’s efforts to provide equitable service to its patrons
- Able to thrive in an ever-changing environment
- Willing to learn new skills
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Assisting patrons with using the library and finding information using a broad range of library resources
- Conducting story time, outreach, and other programs for various age groups
- Searching bibliographic sources and assisting with collection development
- Conferring with senior library staff regarding library policies and procedures
- Providing general reference and reader’s advisory services to the public
- Explaining, demonstrating, and assisting patrons with the use of library equipment and software application
- Participating in continual assessment and weeding of collections
- Training of other paraprofessional and/or clerical support staff
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will have continuous learning opportunities and ongoing training
- You will have career growth and upward mobility within the department
- You will work in a supportive and respectful working environment that values work-life balance
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You will be faced with evening and shift work according to established or flexible schedules
- You will be required to be available to travel to various branches or outlets throughout the County
- You will be required to adapt to ever-changing technology
- Critical Thinking: Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
- Decision Making: Choosing optimal courses of action in a timely manner
- Using Technology: Working with electronic hardware and software applications
- Adaptability: Responding positively to change and modifying behavior as the situation requires
- Attention to Detail: Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products
- Handling Stress: Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity
- Professional Integrity & Ethics: Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Oral Communication: Engaging effectively in dialogue
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing
- Building & Maintaining Relationships: Establishing rapport and maintaining mutually productive relationships
- Customer Focus: Attending to the needs and expectations of customers
- Teamwork: Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Valuing Diversity: Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
- A passion for serving the public
- Experience in training development and/or training delivery roles, public speaking
- A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) or a Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) is highly desirable
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for 6 months.Minimum Qualifications
Education: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) or a Master’s Degree in Library Information Science (MLIS) from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Librarian Association (ALA).
Current enrollment in and completion of at least 75% of the units required to obtain an MLS or MLIS degree from a school of librarianship accredited by the American Librarian Association (ALA). Applicants will be required to verify eligibility by providing qualifying transcripts prior to employment.
Substitution of Education: Two (2) years of full-time, or its equivalent, experience as a Library Assistant-Journey Level or Library Assistant-Advanced Level of Contra Costa County, or in a related position performing similar duties, AND possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university may substitute for the required Master’s degree.
Other Requirements: Some positions may require candidates to possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.Selection Process
- Application Filing: All applicants must apply online at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/contracosta and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date.
- Application Evaluation: Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.
- Online Skills Assessment: Candidates invited to take the online skills assessment will need access to a computer and internet. Tentatively scheduled for January 5, 2022 through January 10, 2022. (Weighted 100%)
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements
Please note that as of August 24, 2021, Contra Costa County enacted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for employees. Proof of full vaccination will be required of all employees, including new hires. The policy requirements can be found here: https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/72164/2021824-Mandatory-Vaccination-Policy-PDF?bidId=
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.
Agency County of Contra Costa