Salary $19.83 – $30.77 Hourly
Location City of Santa Cruz, CA
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Job Number 22-065
Closing1/27/2022 5:00 PM Pacific
The current vacancies are for Library Assistant II for the Santa Cruz Public Libraries. There is a full-time and multiple part-time positions available. The eligibility list established from this recruitment may be used to fill other Library Assistant II vacancies during the life of the list. The eligibility list established from this recruitment is valid for up to one year from the date established unless the list is extended or abolished by the Human Resource Director.
Under supervision, the Library Assistant II provides a wide variety of basic public, technical, and clerical services including circulation services, information and ready-reference service, reader’s advisory, presentation of programs, collection management services, and administrative support.
Selection Timeline: (The following process may be changed as deemed necessary by the Human Resources Director.)
- On Thursday, 01/27/22 recruitment will close. All application materials must be received by the Human Resources Department by 5:00 pm; postmarks are not accepted.
- To apply, submit:
- Application – online application only. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of filling out the application form completely. Click the Apply button to begin the online application process.
- Response to supplemental questions – will be a primary tool in the evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Any work experience described here must also be included in your employment history on the main application.
- Week of 01/31 and 02/07/22: Applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications for this position. Candidates will be notified of their status in the recruitment once all applications have been reviewed.
- Week of 02/28/22: Interviews are tentatively scheduled for the week of 02/28/22. The examination process will include an interview and may include a written and/or performance exam.
Typical Duties(May include, but are not limited to, those duties listed below.)
- May be responsible for opening and closing the library facility and for securing the facility, its contents, and premises.
- Assists patrons with any routine activity associated with being in or using the library.
- Performs a broad range of tasks in assisting the branch manager in operating the branch such as training staff and handling basic patron, facility and equipment issues
- May direct the work of Library Aides, Library Assistant I’s and volunteers.
- Provides constructive input and feedback within the library system concerning the needs of the public and the effectiveness of services and programs.
- Operates various office equipment, computers, printers, tablets, and audio visual equipment as required.
- Assists the public with locating and using the virtual branch and its services.
- Performs and assists with customer account transactions including borrower registrations, orientation to library services, receiving fines and fees, and the resolution of account disputes.
- Monitors and troubleshoots automated check-out, check-in systems; assist patrons with automated check-out systems; sort and transport library materials.
- Performs all circulation tasks such as checking-out and checking in materials, retrieving holds, shelving, filing, arranging items in order, processing requests and interlibrary loans.
- Assists with development and maintenance of the collection including acquisitions, serials control, interlibrary loan, receiving, copy cataloging, processing and mending.
- Assists in the creation and delivery of library programs; prepares marketing materials and branch displays; -may deliver programs designed by professional staff for the audience of the specialized service.
- Efficiently refers questions to librarians from the public according to guidelines.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Provides basic assistance to patrons utilizing library resources, and related software, through either library owned or patron owned devices.
- Provides basic information to the public through print and electronic collections.
- Tracks payments and prepares invoices for payment, resolves issues with vendor orders, and monitors open orders, funds, and purchase orders.
- Responsible for enforcing the Library’s Code of Conduct.
- Performs other related duties that may be reasonably expected as part of this classification.
Requires frequent sitting, walking, standing, reaching, stooping, repetitive use of hands, and pushing in the performance of daily activities. Crouching, grasping and twisting is required in the performance of weekly activities. Occasional climbing, kneeling, working overhead, pushing and pulling, and finger dexterity is required. The position requires near and far vision and normal hearing in the performance of daily activities. The need to lift up to 25 pounds on a daily basis and 35 pounds on an occasional basis is required.
Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.Minimum QualificationsThe minimum qualifications for Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities are the following:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school graduation or tested equivalent; and
- Completion of 45 units college level coursework; and
- One (1) year of library work experience OR two years of customer service experience.
Skills: – in addition to those required of Library Assistant I:
- Competent in computer, tablet, smartphone operations and programs.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with adults and children.
Abilities: – in addition to those required of Library Assistant I:
- Work independently
- Take initiative
Licenses and Certificates
- Fluency in Spanish, an Asian language or sign language
- Library routines, procedures, and services in the assigned area.
- Purpose of public libraries and the services they provide.
- Associates Degree
- Customer Service experience
- Director of Libraries
- Assistant Director of Libraries
- Librarian III
- Librarian II
- Librarian I
- Library Specialist
- Library Assistant IV
- Library Assistant III /Library Information Specialist
- Library Assistant II /Bookmobile Library Assistant
- Library Assistant I
Agency City of Santa Cruz
Address 809 Center St., Room 6
Santa Cruz, California, 95060Phone831-420-5040