Region: Northern Bay Area
Job Type: Full-Time
Close Date : 2/21/2022 at 5pm or until 500 applicants
Salary $6,175.00-$8,274.00 Monthly
Additional : Questionnaires Supplemental
375 Throckmorton Ave Mill Valley, 94941
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Named one of America’s Best Small libraries in 2015, the Mill Valley Library is recruiting for an Adult Services Supervising Librarian. The person in this position will report directly to the City Librarian, oversee the Division’s personnel, programming, and services, and help implement large-scale initiatives.
The Adult Services Supervising Librarian will:
- Help the Library transition through the stages of reopening during and post pandemic.
- Oversee Reference services including mentoring staff to provide excellent customer service.
- Reinstate previous programs and develop new offerings for adults.
- Support Library and City initiatives to achieve greater diversity, equity and inclusiveness.
- Assist the City Librarian with reports and work with the Library’s support groups.
- Select materials in assigned areas, collaborate with others to increase diversity of collection.
- Collaborate with staff to implement One Year Work Plan; assume lead role in select adult services goals.
Typical Projects might include:
- Helping to plan a 2022 City Read or Lit Crawl event.
- Contributing to Library’s original digital content (blogs, podcasts, etc.).
- Increasing efforts to reach underserved populations through outreach, new programs and services.
- Assessing Reference Desk operations and service, and implementing changes as needed.
- Working with the Recreation Department on new collaborations.
(See Supervising Librarian Job Description for complete list of essential duties & abilities.)
The City of Mill Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY:
Known for its beautiful facility and innovative programming, the Library (pre-pandemic)welcomed 240,000 visitors annually, had a $2.5 million budget, 21.16 FTE staff, and 130 volunteers. 45,000 participants attend 1,200 programs offered each year. The Library has a Recording Booth, Apple Laptop Lab, Technology Center, Robotics Lab, SmartGarden, and History Room.Job Announcement URL: https://www.calopps.org/mill-valley/job-20199721Job Description URL: https://www.cityofmillvalley.org/DocumentCenter/View/148/Supervising-Librarian-P…Job PDF: Job Announcement_Superivising Librarian_AdultServices 2022.pdf
This is an excellent fit for a take-charge person who thrives in a fast-paced, hard-working environment. The ideal candidate will be ambitious, capable of developing and implementing innovative and robust programming, and able to lead the Adult Services Division with a positive attitude. Candidate should embrace a modern view of Library service and be dedicated to public service. An M.L.I.S. from an ALA accredited program (or equivalent) and three to five years of increasingly responsible experience in professional library work, including at least two years in a supervisory or administrative capacity is required.
- Leave – the City provides a generous leave package:
- 15 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks of vacation leave based upon years of service
- Health Insurance – City provides the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan or Western Health Advantage HMO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides the full premium for Delta Dental
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or who have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2.5% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation – the City offers up to $600/year in matching contributions toward deferred compensation
- Other – the City also pays the premium for Long-Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance ($50,000)
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City’s official application form via CalOpps, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.
Contact phone: (415)389-4292Contact phone extension: 4730Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.orgCopyright ©2022 CalOpps
About Mill Valley
The City of Mill Valley is 14 miles north of San Francisco and 40 miles from California’s famous wine country. Mill Valley is a town with a rich and eclectic cultural history and a lively and engaged citizenry.
Mill Valley is primarily a suburban community, with distinctive residential neighborhoods representing the many eras of the town’s growth from a small mill town to the modern full-service city it is today. Our approximately 14,000 residents live in a 4.8 square mile area, although we serve as the center for a larger unincorporated Mill Valley area with more than 30,000 residents.
The City of Mill Valley has a staff of almost 150 regular employees.
The City of Mill Valley is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects a diverse workforce and community. It is committed to promoting an equitable and inclusive workspace that is welcoming to all.
Applicants from all backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.