Position Title: On-Call Librarian
Full or Part Time: Part Time
Exempt or Non-exempt: Non-exempt
Salary: $25 per hour
About San Francisco Botanical Garden
San Francisco Botanical Garden is a well-loved community institution known for its stunning
displays of more than 8,500 different kinds of plants from around the world. The Garden is a
sanctuary for rare and endangered plants and is an incredible resource for learning about all
living things and the importance of plants for our own survival. Because of San Francisco’s
topography, its mild Mediterranean climate and coastal fog, plants from six continents can
flourish here. The collections are organized primarily by geography which allows visitors to step
into landscapes of other continents.
The Garden is managed through a public/private partnership between the San Francisco
Botanical Garden Society and San Francisco Recreation & Parks Department (SFRPD). Last year,
the Garden welcomed more than 450,000 visitors and 13,000 children for educational
About the Helen Crocker Russell Library of Horticulture
Established in 1972, the Helen Crocker Russell Library of Horticulture (HCRL) is northern
California’s most comprehensive horticultural library and one of the major horticultural-
botanical libraries in the western United States. The collection covers all aspects of horticulture,
including gardening, garden design, botanical art, ethnobotany and pest management with an
emphasis on plants grown in Mediterranean and other mild-temperate climates. The Library
also features children’s programs and botanical art exhibitions.
About the Position
The On-Call Librarian supports the Library Director and Associate Librarian in managing the
Library and serving the general public of all ages and skill levels. The On-Call Librarian assumes the responsibility of running the library when the Library Director and/or Associate Librarian takes vacation time, sick time, or needs library coverage.
* Assume responsibility for managing the library on an intermittent, on-call basis.
* Provide reference assistance to the general public, members, volunteers and staff.
* Assist with developing and managing library systems: books, periodicals,
vertical files, nursery catalogs, and other special collections.
* Supervise volunteer assistants.
* Assist with managing book sales, art previews, benefits and other special events as
* Learn, document, and assist in management of online catalog and other electronic
* Participate in library planning and implementation processes.
* Perform additional responsibilities, as needed, to advance the mission of the
organization and the Library.
Education and experience:
* Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA-accredited
* Appropriate library experience.
* Experience with technical services procedures using Windows-based computer systems,
databases, and electronic resources.
* Familiarity with the horticultural/botanical subject area is favorably regarded.
Qualities, capabilities, skills and other requirements:
* Ability to interact with the public and volunteers; work cooperatively in a shared workspace.
* Strong organizational, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
* Ability to train and supervise volunteer staff and delegate and coordinate their work.
* Good reference and public service skills.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Physical demands can include loading, lifting, and carrying boxes of books for sales;
moving furniture to rearrange the reading room for library events and regular moving of
books and periodicals in the routine management of library collections.
* Ability to commit to working a minimum of 15 (fifteen) days per year.
* Schedule is on-call and intermittent; includes weekends.
How to Apply
For additional information and to apply: Email your cover letter and resume as one pdf
attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “On-Call Librarian” in the subject line.
SFBG hopes to fill the position as soon as possible. Interested applicants should apply at their
earliest convenience. No phone calls please. San Francisco Botanical Garden is an Equal
Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to its