Reference Librarian- Pool
Part-Time & On-Call/Substitute
Position Description: Alameda County Law Library seeks candidates for our Part-Time On-Call
Reference Librarian (PTOC) pool. In addition to providing outstanding reference service, PTOC
Reference Librarians may support a variety of technical services, and/or administrative
functions. We offer flexible work schedules, a collegial atmosphere, training and skill
development, and an opportunity to make a difference in the community!
Perfect for those wanting to work part-time, including (but not limited to), law librarians
seeking greater work-life balance, retired law librarians, MLIS students/recent graduates with a legal background, and attorneys or paralegals exploring a career in law librarianship. Weekly part-time shifts and on-call/substitute positions are available.
* Provide reference assistance, instruction, and document delivery to Law Library patrons
from the Reference Desk- in person, by phone, and via email.
*Assist in-person and remotely located patrons in the use of the Library’s subscription legal
*Make targeted referrals to local legal aid organizations, Court Self-Help, and Lawyer Referral
* Explain and enforce Library Policies and Rules of Conduct.
*Perform circulation functions, such as checking materials in and out, issuing library cards,
and re-shelving books.
*Check in conference room users and make reservations as needed.
* Assist patrons with copiers, printers, and computer issues.
* Sell supplies and perform monetary transactions at the Reference Desk.
*Maintain a professional and positive customer service attitude when providing reference
service and interacting with patrons, co-workers, vendors and other County employees.
* Create LibGuides and handouts to help patrons identify and access relevant resources.
* May assist Technical Services Librarian with acquisitions, cataloging, materials processing,
collection maintenance, claims, repairs, and/or voucher entry.
*May assist with a variety of clerical and administrative functions.
*Perform other duties as assigned.
Environmental Conditions: Public library and office environment.
Education MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program. JD or Paralegal Certificate is desirable. We will also consider MLIS students and others with a legal background.
Experience working in a law library and/or legal setting. Public services experience preferred.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Knowledge of legal resources (print and electronic), legal terminology, and legal research.
* Interest in public service.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
* Customer service experience or experience interacting with the public.
* Ability to maintain reliable and predictable attendance.
* Ability to communicate and interact effectively with a diverse community of users.
* Ability to work independently and make productive use of work time.
* Experience working with an integrated library system.
* Ability to lift and move books, materials, and other equipment as necessary, in accordance
with all safety procedures.
Application: Send cover letter, resume and completed application form to
Employment application is available on our website: http://lawlibrary.acgov.org/employment/
Alameda County Law Library is a public law library. Our mission is to connect the public and
attorneys with authoritative legal information sources. Visitors use law library resources to
research the law, prepare for court, and draft legal documents. By providing equal access to the tools needed to successfully participate in the legal system, Alameda County Law Library helps facilitate access to justice for all members of the community. Please note that law librarians cannot give legal advice: https://lawlibrary.acgov.org/reference-services/