Part-Time/On-Call Library Supervisor
San Francisco, CA • Library
The San Francisco Conservatory of Music is looking for a friendly and responsible Part-Time Library Supervisor to oversee all circulation services and supervise our student workers.
Working under the direction of Director of Library Services and Library Supervisor, the Part-time Library Supervisor will assist in Library operations, especially with the circulation desk, and provide general assistance to library users, which includes students, faculty, alumni, and any other member of the SFCM community with access privileges. The incumbent will process incoming reserve requests and update online reserve lists. The incumbent will also provide technical assistance (copy machines, computers), assist with processing and/or repairing materials, and be responsible for stack maintenance and shelving.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing a variety of technical library assistance and information to students and staff
- All circulation duties, including but not limited to checking items in and out, pulling holds, processing materials, overseeing stack maintenance, registering and updating patron information, collecting fines, shelving and shelf maintenance and reserves
- Performing routine searches and updates of bibliographic records
- Facilitating the use of databases and resources available in the library
- Coordinating circulation control of books, periodicals videos, CDs, DVDs and other materials
- Providing reserve and cataloging search assistance
- Ensuring materials are returned in a timely manner and assess fines for late materials received
- Communicating with patrons regarding book fines and lost book fees
- Monitoring and performing repair and basic preservation of books; replacing spine labels and security strips
- Orienting, training and providing direction to assigned student library workers
- Preparing and signing student timesheets
- Collecting, compiling and computing library statistics related to assigned departments and generating statistical reports
- Picking up, sorting and distributing library mail and parcels
- Working on special projects assigned by the Director of Library Services and Library Supervisor
- Performing other duties as required
The incumbent must be able to work either opening and/or closing hours of the library.
- Monday to Thursday: 9:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M
- Friday to Saturday: 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M
Some evenings and weekends are required.
*During the academic year (late August through the middle of May), this part-time position will work between 20-25 hours of work per week (varies). Hours are subject to change during holidays, final examinations, and winter and summer sessions.
The ideal candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in music or a related field, two years of library experience, and experience with both public and technical service library practices, including circulation procedures. Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience with MS Word and Excel are a must. Experience with the LC call number organization system and with computer online catalogs is desirable.
Desired knowledge and skills include:
- Library technical processes related to the cataloging, conservation, and circulation of library materials
- Familiarity with Library of Congress classification system
- Experience with the OCLC database
- Ability to use library databases and other reference tools necessary to answer a wide variety of questions related to Music
Applicants should be able to:
- Provide technical library assistance and information to students and staff
- Process incoming materials and perform related clerical duties
- Assist students, faculty and others in the use of library materials and equipment
- Train and provide work direction to library student library workers
SFCM’s mission is to transform our students: artistically, intellectually, professionally, and individually. Through the study of music at the highest level, our students learn to seek achievement in every endeavor, to convert challenge into opportunity, to understand the nature of excellence, and to pursue their dreams with vigor and determination. We believe that inspiring the imagination, cultivating the artist, honing the intellect, and developing the professional are the keys to launching innovative graduates who excel in any field. SFCM is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students, faculty, and staff with a culture of achievement.
How to Apply
We prefer to receive applications through our website. This position will be open until filled.
SFCM is a fully committed equal employment opportunity institution and welcomes applications from all qualified persons, including those who consider themselves to be of a race, national origin or ancestry that is not fully represented in musical arts programs in the United States. Personnel decisions regarding applicants for employment are made without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran, age, citizenship, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.