Library – Adjunct Professor (Mt. San Antonio College)
Library – Adjunct Professor
Library & Learning Resources
Library & Learning Resources Division Office
$80.63 per hour (based on lecture hour equivalent)
Health & Welfare Benefits
Initial Screening Date
First consideration will be given to applicants who apply by February 1, 2023.
Open Until Filled
For more details about this position, please contact:
Pauline Swartz; Department Chair. firstname.lastname@example.org. (909) 274-6600
THIS IS A TEMPORARY, HOURLY AS NEEDED POSITION WITHOUT PERMANENT STATUS.
This is a CONTINUOUS recruitment for an applicant POOL to fill part-time, temporary, hourly assignments on an as-needed basis. Departments or divisions will refer to the POOL of applications on file to fill temporary assignments as the need arises. You will be contacted by the hiring manager should the department/division be interested in scheduling an interview.
This position primarily requires providing library instruction, reference, and research appointments, on campus and online, during evenings, weekends, and early mornings.
1. Minimum Qualifications
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
- Master’s in library science, library and informationscience; OR
- The equivalent (must request an equivalency review in the application), OR
- California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed Code § 87355 (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential must be submitted with the application.);
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
2. Preferred Qualifications
1. Communicate effectively orally and in writing
B. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide in-person and online academic reference services to a diverse population that support a philosophy of instruction and critical thinking.
- Teach a variety of library information literacy offerings such as course-integrated sessions, credit library research courses, and drop-in workshops, in-person and online, using best practices in academic libraries and culturally responsive pedagogy.
- Fulfill early morning, late afternoon, evening, and weekend instruction and reference assignments.
- Collaborate with librarians in a team-oriented environment.
- Work in the spirit of the College’s mission, vision, and core values to support our diverse campus community.
- Participate in outcomes assessment.
- Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities and College, division, and department policies.
Candidates not holding the stated required qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency will need to answer the equivalency questions included in the application.
C. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online, unless otherwise noted, at the Mt. SAC Employment Website to be considered for this position:
- A Mt. San Antonio College online application.
- A cover letter describing how the applicant meets the required education and experience.
- A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position.
- If applicable, College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
D. FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline. Accredited evaluation agencies can be found on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services Website.
E. SELECTION PROCEDURE
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities and other job-related criteria as listed in the job posting. Interviews may include a writing sample, presentation, teaching demonstration and/or performance test.
F. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The person holding this position is required to be present on Mt. San Antonio College’s campus to perform all essential duties and responsibilities.
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.
Notice to all prospective employees – The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in Administrative Procedure 3518, titled Child Abuse Reporting, as a condition of employment.
As required by the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the Mt. San Antonio Community College Annual Security Report is available here: Mt. SAC Annual Security Report. The person holding this position is considered a ‘Responsible Employee’ under Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 and is required to report to the College’s Title IX Coordinator all relevant details reported to him or her about an incident of alleged sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence and stalking.
EEO Policy & Equity Statement
The College is an equal opportunity employer. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from ethnic and racial minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era veterans. No person shall be denied employment because of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (gender), age, sexual orientation, or the perception that a person has one or more of these characteristics.
Conflict of Interest
Mt. San Antonio College employees and the Board of Trustees members shall not engage in any employment or activity that is inconsistent with, incompatible with, or in conflict with Mt. San Antonio College’s Administrative Procedures (AP 2710 Conflict of Interest, AP 2712 Conflict of Interest Codes).
We reserve the right to re-open, re-advertise, delay, or cancel filling this position. This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What does ‘equity’ mean to you? How do you enact your definition of equity in your classroom?(Open Ended Question)
- * What does it mean for you to have a commitment to diversity? How have you demonstrated that commitment? How would you see yourself demonstrating it here?(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide a brief statement discussing the kinds of contributions you plan to make at Mt. San Antonio College and what you consider to be the most important qualifications that would especially qualify you to fulfill the responsibilities of this position. Also include specific qualifications that enable you to work with culturally diverse individuals, minority groups, and multi-ethnic programs.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts to Meet Required Qualifications
- Transcripts – Continued
- Foreign Transcripts Evaluation
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Other Document 1