This position is located in the United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. The selectee is not required to report to a government office, however, the option to work in one of the Agency offices may be available.
In this position, you will be responsible for supporting the NAL’s Animal Welfare Information Center with library-related tasks such as supporting evidence-based reviews, developing bibliographies and contributing to collections and the thesaurus.
This job is open to
- Recent graduatesIndividuals who have graduated from an accredited educational institute or certificate program within the last 2 years or 6 years for Veterans.
Clarification from the agency
Recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate’s, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program. Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree due to military service obligation have up to six years after degree completion to apply.
$57,118 – $74,250 per year
Salary listed is based on the Rest of United States pay scale and may be adjusted upon selection.
Pay scale & grade
- Provide literature searching and evidence-based review support on animal welfare research, animal disease research, biomedical research, veterinary research, and animal science research.
- Act as a point of contact for knowledge in searching and evaluating agricultural, biomedical, animal welfare/science, and related literature.
- Support the development of technical bibliographies on topics such as veterinary medicine, animal welfare, biomedical research, and agriculture.
- Assist in maintaining, identifying, and adding new material to the National Agricultural Library’s Digital Collection(s).
- Participates in outreach activities to increase public awareness, access to, and use of NAL and AWIC materials and programs.
- Assists in the development of presentations and other outreach materials to promote NAL and AWIC’s mission.
- Helps add to and maintain the AWIC vocabulary for the National Agricultural Library Thesaurus (NALT). Tasks may include adding new concepts, definitions, and labels and editing the scheme hierarchy.
- Supports program objectives supported by the unit and prepare periodic status summary reports for review by the Team Leader.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
- Satisfactory Background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one-year trial period.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit https://www.e-verify.gov/
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following requirements:
Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2) years.
Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full 2-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirements for the academic course of study were met.
A. Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate study in library science in an accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor’s degree;
B. A total of at least 5 years of a combination of college-level education, training, and experience. To qualify on this basis, the applicant must establish conclusively that the education, training, and experience provided a knowledge and understanding of the theories, principles, and techniques of professional librarianship; a knowledge of literature resources; and the knowledge and abilities essential for providing effective library and information services.
In addition to the basic requirements above, all applicants must also meet the following minimum qualification requirements:
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. Specialized experience must be described for each grade level advertised. The specialized experience requirements for this position are: Qualifying experience for GS-09 includes one year of specialized experience comparable to GS-07 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is experience assisting with the acquisition of electronic materials and related supplies for a library; developing records and performing subject matter searches on topics related to veterinary medicine, animal welfare, biomedical research, agriculture research or other related research; and maintaining, identifying, and adding new material to digital collections.
Education: 2 full years of progressively higher-level graduate education or master’s in library science or equivalent graduate degree, e.g., LL.B. or J.D., related to the position.
A qualifying combination of graduate education and experience as described above.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For a complete job description and to apply, go to: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/700154300