Reports to: Library Director
Status: Full-Time Faculty, 10 Month, Non-Tenure Track
Supervises: Student assistants and Circulation staff (mornings and weekends)
The Gellert Library at Notre Dame de Namur University seeks a dynamic, innovative, and collaborative individual for the faculty position of Instructional Design Librarian. This is a new position that will work closely with the other faculty librarians to reimagine the Library’s information literacy instruction program. The successful candidate will be joining a small and highly collaborative library team that works to develop dynamic, student-centered instruction and programming. The successful candidate will also participate in faculty and university committees and councils, providing the Instructional Design Librarian with the opportunity to take an active role in the campus community.
The Instructional Design Librarian will lead efforts to collaborate with NDNU faculty and instructors on curriculum development projects in areas such as instructional design, assessment of information literacy learning outcomes, and assignment development. The Instructional Design Librarian will develop instructional materials in a range of formats designed to promote best practices for addressing information literacy in undergraduate through doctoral programs. The Instructional Design Librarian will also collaborate with faculty or instructors in the development of classroom research and assessment projects. In particular, this position will support diversity efforts through programs designed to help Hispanic, first-generation, and underrepresented student populations to acclimate and thrive at NDNU.
The successful candidate will be flexible in order to adjust their range of responsibilities to meet evolving campus needs. The Instructional Design Librarian will be instrumental in delivering information literacy instruction to NDNU’s growing online, hybrid, and satellite programs and in the development of a student learning commons. The successful candidate will communicate effectively and work collaboratively with other units in the library and on campus to support the information gathering needs of a diverse population of undergraduates, graduates, and faculty at Notre Dame de Namur University.
This position requires some evening and weekend shifts.
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position and your experiences working in a diverse environment.
The first review for this position is January 20, 2017.
• Collaborate with teaching faculty, library faculty, and the Library Director on the strategic integration of information literacy instruction in the curriculum using evidence-based instruction methods and a range of technologies;
• Provide expertise and leadership on helping the library faculty maintain best practices in teaching and learning;
• Develop and assess a broad range of teaching and learning objects, including but not limited to, web-based tutorials, instructional videos, research guides, and web sites fully integrating e-learning into the course management system and the curricula in support of the Library’s research, teaching and learning program;
• Provide library research instruction to on campus, off-site, and online students incorporating active learning into both in-person and online experiences;
• Assist in the development and implementation of assessment research designed to track the impact of library involvement in student success and retention;
• Provide STEM and general reference service;
• Develop and manage print and electronic collections in assigned STEM liaison areas, including selecting and withdrawing materials, participating in collaborative collection development decisions, and exploring Open Access and shared collection models;
• Collaborate and actively participate in local, regional, national, or international professional organizations to share research in information literacy instruction;
• Participate in University and Library committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate;
• Other duties as assigned.
• ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library or information science
• Minimum 2 years of full-time experience providing instructional services in an academic library
• Passion for quality library service centered on student learning and characterized by collaboration with faculty in support of teaching and research needs;
• Knowledge of best practices and innovations in teaching and learning, curriculum development, and instruction as they relate to information literacy;
• Demonstrated knowledge of online course management software, skills in creating digital and online instructional resources
• Evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats with faculty and instructional staff
• Ability to thrive in a changing work environment and demonstrated commitment to professional development.
• Demonstrated professional behavior and excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team and problem solve creatively
• Strong commitment to serving the needs of underserved student populations
• Subject degree in Education or Instructional Design
• Familiarity with current trends in STEM education
• Experience with information literacy assessment and research
NDNU is committed to providing an educational environment that supports a diverse student population. In your cover letter, please include information about your experiences in working in a diverse environment, and what qualities you would bring to supporting this commitment to inclusive excellence at NDNU.
Additional information available online.